Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Noisy Family Fun

Well, the fourth of July has come and gone.



I actually went out and bought fireworks this year, and not the pre-packaged ones from Walmart.



I strongly dislike Walmart. Unfortuantely, I can't afford not to shop there.
But I digressss....


We went to one of the many firework distributers in the FM area,
this one happened to be near Fleet Farm. 




 I wandered up and down the aisles with my boys in tow,
examining the vast array of thing that go BOOM!

 I wanted to strike the right balance with the fireworks we purchased;
exciting enough to amaze my boys,
but not so exciting our neighbors call the cops.
We live in town and happen to have 3 different cops living within a 5 block radius of our house. It wouldn't take but a minute for them to show up on our doorstep.




So, we spent 20 minutes inspecting our potential purchases and asking a very helpful sales lady for assistance determining which fireworks we wanted to blow up. Smoke bombs were a must, as were sparklers. I grabbed a few boxes of snappers and began perusing some of the higher priced wares. A large green ball appropriately named Dakota Frog, caught my eye, and I mentally earmarked it to come back to later.

Dakota Frog
I did pick up one of their 'party packs' that had a decent variety and seemed to adhere to MN laws (for the most part). I tallied up my total and then decided to let each of the boys pick a firework, providing they were each under $5. Archie chose a parachuting one, Ichabod chose a very tame package of glow snakes, and Roland found one that just emitted sparks. I headed to the checkout and saw my husband had a few, including the Dakota frog I had been eyeing. Our total came to just under $30 and the sales clerk handed each of the boys a freebie to boot. Not bad!




 In our back yard we have a large dirt pile
(because really, what little boy doesn't like dirt?)





that my trio had previously turned into a volcano. The volcano made a good launch pad and we proceeded to fill our neighborhood with the smell of gunpowder. Not a single dud in our 5 packages of smoke bombs and it turned out the 3 freebie were the actually pretty great. The Dakota Frog was very tame but enjoyable and all in all it was a pleasant evening.  No one got hurt, burned or even mildly maimed. It was a great kick off for tomorrow's firework show at MSUM.....








Ichabod was making himself some oatmeal in the microwave and was trying to decide which button to push and asked, “Mom? Which one is play?”



1 comment:

  1. Ahh! Sounds fantastic. I love fireworks, but I'm too broke to get any this year (I can't even afford $30 worth). I hope you all had a fabulous time.

    Thanks for sharing, and I love the photos. They're adorable. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete