Thursday, June 30, 2011

Brand New Day

     So. After several suggestions from friends and family, I have decided to start a blog. I believe it was encouraged mainly because of the strange and often hilarious antics of my children but we'll pretend it's also due to my fantastic writing abilities too.  A little self delusion is a good thing.
     Since this is my first post, I will do a little bio. I have to admit I have not fully investigated this site to see what it's all about so I may do a copy and paste to the bio section later. But, as I said, that's later.
     I am a 30 year old mother of three, married for almost 9 years. My boys (we'll call them Archie, Ichabod, and Roland) are 9, 6 and 5 respectively.  If you can do the math (which I am sure you can) you'll figure out my husband and I had our first child out of wedlock. Archie was one when we got married, and two when we finally had our wedding. He wore an adorable tuxedo that was ridiculously cute and more expensive than I wanted but definitely worth the money. 
     I am one of nine kids. The youngest six in my family are adopted. I am white, the youngest five in my family are black. I am only mentioning this now, because I truly forget that sometimes.  I will have known people for years (and speak about my family often) and people are noticably surprised when they meet my brothers and sisters. Some have actually been a little miffed that I didn't mention it. (It's my fault they make semi racist jokes?)  Our ages are: 31, 30, 28, 25, 14, 14, 13, 12, and 10.  The oldest 3 have 3 kids each so we are quite the crew when we all get together.  And yes, my oldest son is only a year younger than my youngest sister. They go to school together. I am raising my children the same time my mom and dad are raising theirs. It's actually quite fun. My parents live 5 blocks from me and I talk to my mom nearly everyday.  She lost her mom very recently and posted a message on her sister's Facebook wall the other day, commenting on it being the longest she had ever gone without talking with her mom. I miss my grandmother very much but am more saddened by my mom losing her mom. I really don't know how I will handle that someday and prefer not to think about it.
     I work for a company that provides services to people with developmental disabilities. In plain speak: I work in a group home. I love my job. I have been doing this my entire life. My parents cared for children with special needs in their home when I was a child, so I grew up doing this job. I can't imagine doing anything else. Some days I feel burned out because caring for people with diabilities can be high stress. Most notibly because you CARE. As anyone who works in this field can tell you, it can be unbelieveable difficult not to bring it home with you at the end of the day. I personally feel it's impossible. To do this job well, you need compassion so bringing a little of it home with you comes with the territory.
     Currently, as I sit at my computer, I have six kids running around my house. Two are mine (my third is spending the week at Grandma and Grandpa's in Alexandria, MN); one is a 'daycare' boy (I use the term daycare loosely because he's really just a friend of Archie's that I am watching during the day for the summer); and three are a trio of sibilings I used to do daycare for two years ago but have sinced move to Florida. They are up visiting their grandparents and are spending the day here. 
     A few cautions if you plan on reading this blog long term:
First - my typing is atrocious. I will do my best to proof read my posts before I hit that orange 'publish post' button but I am sure many things will escape my notice. Feel free to point them out and make fun of me. A little humility in life is important.
Second - I tend to use a lot of run on sentences and get a little wordy at times.  Okay, a lot wordy. I'll try to reign it in, but no promises.  
Third - as my little brother loves to point out: I love parentheses. I forget to close them. A lot.
Fourth - to make my inept typing worse, a few of my keys stick. Most noticably the spacebar, the letter B and the letter N. It's gonna come up. Just putting it out there.
Fifth - I talk about my kids. A lot. I define myself primarily as a mom. It is waht I do 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Yes, I am a wife, I have a job, and do many other things. But I am a mom first and foremost.  Heaven help me when they all grow up and leave home.  
     So that is what is going on right now. One thing I do plan on doing with this blog is to end with quips and quotes from my kids. Kids do say the darndest things and my youngest is.....well....really weird. I love him to pieces but his brain is wired a little differently than most and his views on things are a little skewed. Most of the quotes will come from him but a few from Archie and Ichabod will be sprinkled throughout as well.


Conversation with Roland:
Me: Roland, did you eat breakfast?
Roland: Yes
Me: Roland, I don't see your bowl. Did you eat breakfast?
Roland: Yes.
.....
Me: Roland, did you eat breakfast TODAY?
Roland: No. I ate breakfast yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, that's cute! I like your kids already!

    So, I love your blog! And I think your typing is wonderful and perfectly adequate for the job. Who doesn't screw up every now and again? And, as you may have noticed, I tend to run on and on a lot myself. Don't think I'll be judging you, at all. I really wouldn't have the right to, seeing as I have been known to do all of those things, too.

    Your family sounds spectacular! I love the mixture of black and white. The fact that your parents adopted them at such an advanced age is incredible. They sound like really great people.

    Well, I'll catch up with you again later. Honestly, though, your blog is adorable. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. advanced age. heehee. I am so going to tease my mom about that one. Actually, my parents had us 3 biological children at a young age so they're still pretty young as far as parents go. These days a lot of couples wait til their 30s to start having children, so it works out about right. (They are currently in their early 50s.) A little on the older end of the scale, but don't yet qualify for that senior citizen discount. :)

    ReplyDelete